aEEG – HIE and Beyond
Course language: English
Dr. Dalal Abdelgadir, MBBS, FRCPC | Neonatologist, Stollery Children’s Hospital
aEEG has become a standard bedside tool in many hospitals for monitoring the brains of infants with HIE undergoing therapeutic hypothermia and many other neurologic conditions, especially where seizures are suspected.
This course is designed to help clinicians understand the technology behind the aEEG trace, understand interpretation of the aEEG trace and also help to clarify situations where aEEG is a helpful monitoring adjunct in the NICU in conditions outside of the HIE population.
At the end of the presentation, the clinician will be able to:
- Describe aEEG as a monitoring tool
- Discuss how to interpret the aEEG trace
- Discuss clinical applications of aEEG
- Understand the importance of recognising artifacts in the aEEG trace
- Describe how to minimise aEEG artifacts.