This course is designed for the neonatal clinician to understand the importance of Family Centred Care for newborns and preterm infants.
By the end of the course, the clinician will be able to:
- Describe the changes in neonatal care and visiting practices over the past years
- Understand the importance of psychosocial interventions for parents of preterm infants
- Understand the long-term consequences of bonding and secure binding after preterm delivery
- Recognize that a modern NICU should:
– Be responsible for the whole family of a preterm or sick neonate
– Allow unlimited parental presence
– Allow for Kangaroo Mother Care
– Accept parents as primary caregivers.